Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Help me help her help them!

Ok, that may be the cheesiest post title I've ever used, but if you know me, what else were you expecting?

Here's the deal, my great pal Elizabeth (see a few posts below to meet her) is organizing a 5K in Alabama where she lives to raise money for a new dorm at the Janada L. Batchelor Foundation for Children in East Africa. From the JBFC website:

JBFC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to alleviating extreme poverty throughout East Africa by building self-sustaining, holistic care campuses, which primarily serve orphaned and street girls, providing them with safe refuge, nutrition, education, healthcare and hope for a new life.

Elizabeth visited these girls a few months ago and it's probably safe to say she left her heart there with them. Many more young girls are waiting for a spot at JBFC to get off the streets and find safety. A new dorm would allow for 16 girls to move in and have food, housing, healthcare, and education.

The 5K will be held on May 15, 2010. You can find more details on the event page on Facebook.

Elizabeth’s goal? $30,000 – the cost of one dormitory.

One way she’ll reach that goal is through sponsorships. I completely believe that there are enough people who know (and love) me (and I love you, too) to sponsor at least a half mile of the race. How much is that exactly? $500. Which really is just a small amount of money—especially compared to her goal!

Now, I completely understand that money is tight for pretty much everyone and most of you probably already give to a church, charity, or something else that tugs at your sweet, little heartstrings. I don’t at all expect you to give nor do I have a set amount for those willing/able to give. Other than this blog post (and a few cute reminder posts) I won’t directly ask anyone for money. I may growl at you or roll your house (yes, with toilet paper) for not giving, but I won’t ask you for money. Just kidding. :)

There are a few ways you can give:

1. Paypal. Send some money to Ashley.miller1@wku.edu. You can also use that email if you have questions, comments, gripes, or complaints!

2. Send a check/cash. Either mail it or pass it along next time I see you. If you send a check, please make it out to JFBC (it’s tax deductible). If you make it out to me, we can make that work, too! I just don’t want the IRS coming after me. 1002B Clifton Lane, Nashville, TN 37204

3. Pass it along to someone else to give to me. Really. I’m looking at you people in Bullitt County for this one! A lot of you reading this have known Elizabeth for several years, I’m just sayin’. If you’re not comfortable using Paypal or the unreliable USPS, feel free to drop it by my parents’ place or when you see them at church (granted, with mom’s chemo you may not catch them there too often). If you happen to see them sitting in a pew just drop the money in the offering plate. I’ll tell them to sort through the shiny bowl when it gets to them and pull out the ones with my name. And the big ones. Again, just kidding. :)

I’d like to collect the money by Aprila full month before the race. This will help Elizabeth greatly in planning for the event. I’ll post an announcement about how much was collected unless it’s only $3.

Also, if you happen to have some crazy connections to things that would be great door prizes she’s looking for those things, too! Let me know or contact her directly at ekornegay@fbcpelham.org

Can’t wait to see what happens. Love all my readers! You are all beautiful. Can you tell I’m sucking up so you’ll give me your money? Once more, kidding. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment