Thursday, March 18, 2010

Announcement: I'm a writer!

So I've never considered myself much of a writer. Until recently I've never enjoyed writing. In school I always struggled to get to the minimum word count for papers. I've never really been confident in grammar/punctuation. I like to use commas - probably more than they're supposed to be used. I'm not exactly sure how to use this: ; (A semi-colon, I believe). I don't feel like I have a very large vocabulary. I've always enjoyed telling a story in picture or some other means, but never in writing. I've tried journaling. I have several journals that only have a few pages in the front written on and the three or four entries that may be there cover a span of a couple years. At times, writing can be very therapeutic. Other times it seems to be more frustrating for me as I write and re-write to get the words right.

All of this babbling does have a point. I've just become an Examiner for examiner.com. Initially I wanted to do photography examining where you only write a little and tell the rest of the story with four or five photos. Somehow in the application process they ended up thinking I wanted to do Cheap Eats Examining - of the non-photography variety. In the end, I decided to do it rather than try to switch to photography. I can still post pictures, but won't always be forced to get photos which will be helpful when a last minute topic comes up. I'll be writing about local restaurants in Nashville. Ideas welcome!

I'm definitely not doing this for the money (there isn't much to be had), but of course that will be a nice bonus. I want to force myself to get out and take more photos and have always enjoyed food photography (strange, I know). What will happen to this little blog here is unknown, but for now I plan to keep it up. I'll at least post a little blurb about my articles with a link. It would help me greatly if you could follow the links and check out my pieces - even if you don't live in town.

My first article has been submitted. They'll review it and once approved I'll be able to freely post. Once it's approved and published I'll let you know. Then, I'll have two little spaces on the internet with my signature.

Here's a photo from the restaurant highlighted in my first article. Can you guess where it is?


Side note: If you think you might be interested in becoming an examiner yourself visit: www.examiner.com/refer. Be sure to include my ID# (41679) on the "Were you referred here by a current examiner?" part. I'll get a bonus, but it ends there. I promise this isn't one of those crazy pyramid schemes!

2 comments: