Saturday, February 20, 2010

With a thankful heart...

Three weeks ago today I was sitting in a hospital room in Chicago celebrating the new life of my nephew and preparing to watch the Cats take on Vandy. Today, I'm sitting in hospital room thankful for healing, hopeful for recovery, and again preparing to watch the Cats take on Vandy.

Last time, there were tears of joy.
This time, the tears flow from the little moments that are bringing my mother to life (like being greeted by Sabrina, my older sister, for the first time since the surgery).
Last time, my sister was in the hospital bed, recovering from child birth.
This time, my mother sits in her place, recovering from a hysterectomy and cancer treatment.
Last time, during the drive from Nashville to Louisville I listened to music because I wanted to.
This time, I listened because I needed it.
Last time, the Cats were playing Vandy at Rupp Arena.
This time, the Cats are playing Vandy in Nashville.
Last time, the Cats beat Vandy 85-72.
Let's hope for a similar outcome this time.

Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio recently posted about remembering certain events based upon the UK basketball memories that correspond. At the time I didn't think much of it. I had a few memories of UK games, but they didn't necessarily correspond to significant life events. Now I understand. And though I may overdo it a bit on my allegiance to Big Blue Nation, there is more to it than just basketball. And, boy, do I love my Wildcats!

This week has been about being thankful for the little things (and the big).
Here are a few things that I'm thankful for:
  • Brayan. Who smiles. Not to mention the spitting up and pooping that he also blessed me with.
  • Otis Spunkmeyer cookies. And the sweet ladies that bake them fresh everyday right down the hall.
  • Technology. Though Lil Dude isn't able to join us at the hospital, two webcams dialed into each other allow Granny to watch her grandson sleep peacefully.
  • Food. Being able to eat what I want is so taken for granted. A great reminder of that came earlier today when my mother came charging out of the bathroom (at a slow pace) announcing that not only had she passed gas, but she also had a bowel movement (that's the big news of the day and the reason the plate in front of her contains mashed potatoes, carrots, and chicken, instead of broth, jello, and a popsicle).
  • Facebook. Yea, I went there. It's allowed me to stay updated on other friends and family experiencing similar heartache and also receive encouragement.
  • Coffee. Lack of sleep, a snoring grandma, and uncontrollable emotions are all easily forgotten when coffee is present.
  • The lady yesterday (who's name I never caught) who visited my mother (none of us knew her) and reported that she was exactly 8 years breast cancer free. To. The. Day.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ashley! I have been reading your blogs, and I am praying for you and your mom.

    P.S. Congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete