Friday, February 19, 2010

With a heavy heart...

First, I'll give you a quick update on my mom. I walked in to her room this morning and she yelled, "I get to take a shower!" Her mouth was bright red from jello she had just eaten! Even now, she is snoring, which is normally annoying, but for now, I don't mind. It means she's getting good rest. Her spirits are definitely up. She is feeling much better. She'll be in the hospital a few more days (probably until Monday or Tuesday), but her body is progressing nicely from the surgery. Thanks again for all the prayers and encouragement. It has meant so much.

Second, I want to ask you to remember two other precious families. The Stallings are a sweet family in Nashville that has cooked me many a dinner and even opened their home to a friend of mine a couple summers ago. You may remember them from this blog post. Emmett is at Vanderbilt Hospital. They found a cancerous tumor on his throat and a few spots on his liver.

My cousin's father-in-law is getting a stint put in today. He has a cancerous tumor on his throat. You met my cousin and his wife here.

Since getting the call from my father on Tuesday it seems like cancer has popped up everywhere. This week's episode of Lost reminded us of Rose's cancer. The bottom line during the UK/Mississippi State game informed its viewers that Nuggets Coach George Karl had been diagnosed with throat cancer. Later there was a commercial about standing up to cancer. I read on my roommate's blog that the 13-year old she's tutoring in France lost her mother to breast cancer a year ago. Kentucky Sports Radio (my vote for best website/blog/whatever around) mentioned that Sunday kicks off "Beat Cancer Week" in college basketball. It's everywhere, but I've never noticed beyond the pink ribbons. And it's never seemed more real.

No comments:

Post a Comment