Wednesday, February 17, 2010

With an aching heart...

My mother is a fighter. Since her childhood she has faced one battle after another, but not one that she couldn't overcome. I expect this next chapter in her life, my family's life, to be no different. She has been diagnosed with Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer. Not at all what we were expecting when she went in for a hysterectomy. We knew there was a chance of cancer, but the tests done weeks ago had come back negative, easing our concerns. Though the road ahead may be long and filled with bumps and potholes, I am confident in my mother's ability to fight with all she has.

My mother is an optimist. When she called over the weekend to tell me about the looming surgery she was most upset that she wouldn't be able to attend the SEC Tournament with me due to the needed recovery time and that she couldn't hold her new grandson in her arms. That was her sadness. It wasn't about herself. She had decided that if it were cancer her and her sister (who, just a few months ago, was diagnosed with breast cancer) would be chemo buddies and that would be that. She knows what's important in life and has put her faith in those things. Though the road ahead will have plenty of hills, I am confident in my mother's ability to keep her spirits up and not let setbacks get her down.

My mother is a prayer warrior. Who really knows how prayer works? Though I can't explain it I've witnessed its power. As visitors stop in and offer encouragement it's the one's who take the time to pray with her that means more than the flowers, cards, balloons, and even her favorite, angel figurines (though those are all appreciated). It means more to her, to us, and, I'm sure, to the overall healing of her body. Though the road ahead will look new and different, I know that my mother will remain a warrior who looks to Christ.

My mother is a loving wife. Grandma. Friend. Co-worker. She's gracious. Caring. Considerate. Joyful. She feels like she's inconveniencing us (which is just ridiculous), but would be the first person at our side if the roles were switched. She's stubborn (proven by her sneaking sips of water when the nurses aren't looking). Silly (proven by her telling her pastor she'd be showing up at church in her hospital robe and sitting in the front row next to him). Independent (see the red marks on my dad's hands from her slapping him away when he offers help). Beautiful (see photo above). Modest (though the male nurse who assisted with her latest bathroom trip may no agree). Most of all, she's mine - for that, I'm extremely thankful.

For those of you reading this that hadn't heard the news you can see the update from my dad below. We are confident with the doctor that she will make a full recovery. Thanks to everyone for the support and prayers. It's greatly appreciated and comforting to know that people are striving with us. Much love, Ashley.

From my dad:
Bev's surgery went through ok yesterday, but she does have stage 3c ovarian cancer. The doctor did a full hysterectomy then she took out a layer of fat over her stomach that had cancer and a portion of her colon which had cancer on the outside of it. Then she cleaned and scraped other parts that were infected. Some parts they could not take out. They put a port in her side and will treat the rice size pieces that are left with chemo through the port directly to this area. She will still have to have a regular port put in and take regular chemo treatment after that. Dr. Gordoneir is very confident that she got enough of the cancer and that the port in her side will be enough to give her a full recovery. It will be a long process. Pray. God can do anything he wants and he has a plan. She will be in the hospital for about a week if everything goes well. Norton Brownsboro Hospital room 410.

4 comments:

  1. Ashley, I can't imagine what you and your family are going through. However, I do know how strong of a woman your mom is. That, along with everyone that is praying, I know God will take care of her, and be with her every step of the way.
    Praying,
    Crystal Cushingberry (Corbin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash,
    Wow...I wish for things to be different. I wish your mom didn't have to go through this. I wish you wouldn't have to write posts like this one. I wish your dad wouldn't have to have terrible thoughts running through his mind about what the future may hold. I wish your sister could experience the joy of seeing your mom's face light up at every little coo the little dude makes. I wish.
    But because we serve an amazing, loving father, I pray. I pray for quick healing. I pray for miraculous findings. I pray for comfort for you and your family. I pray for faith for your mom. I pray for wisdom for the doctors. I pray.
    I have loved you and your family for years. Know and trust that you are at the very top of my list and I pray expecting God to move. He says we have not because we ask not...I can undoubtedly say that this will not be the case with your mother's situation. I am but a wave tossed in the ocean of prayers going up on her behalf right now, but know that even though I may only make a small difference, I will try, I will hope, I will wish, I will love, I will pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash,
    I am Emily Jochim's cousin, Stephanie and I will be praying for your momma. I battled uterine cancer myself three years ago, so I know how tough this can be. I truly believe that having a positive attitude, strong people by my side, the prayers and good thoughts, and the big man upstairs got me through it. I will have you, your mother, and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and keep smiling,
    Stephanie Kuster

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,

    Been thinking of you and your mom today. I am sending you hugs, love, and prayers.

    h

    ReplyDelete